There are two types of divorces attorneys encounter-contested and uncontested. When one person in the relationship is opposed to going through with the divorce or they simply aren’t in agreement with another aspect associated with the process, this would be considered a contested divorce. But, when a couple is able to come to terms and agree on the divorce, this is called an uncontested divorce. If you have a spouse who simply is refusing to sign your divorce papers so that it can be finalized, your divorce would be considered contested.

So, what can you do? How are you expected to handle this situation? While you are ready to proceed on with the divorce and move forward with your life, your spouse isn’t ready to let go. As frustrating as this can be, you should know that once you initiate the divorce proceedings, your spouse cannot keep you married to them forever [Source: Live Strong]. And to help you feel a bit more at ease, we have a few steps provided from Live Strong that can be taken to help get your divorce case resolved.


  1. Determine the reason behind the refusal. Sometimes, a spouse might want something specific out of the divorce and is only willing to sign the papers if they know they are going to receive it. Perhaps you can comply with their demands so that you can speed up the divorce rather than continue to have it drag on. Your divorce attorney can help you work this out to ensure everyone gets what they are asking for.


  1. Take your case before a judge. If you initially chose to not take your divorce case to court, you may need to do so now. It is always recommended that you are represented by a Grand Rapids, Michigan divorce lawyer during this time to ensure your rights aren’t overlooked. When your divorce is taken before a judge, you and your partner will have a chance to present your side. “Once you and your partner have presented your cases in turn, you will receive a determination of the divorce and a judgement for divorce issued by the court.”


  1. Based on the outcome of the court hearing, be sure you follow up by “transferring any deeds, property or assets and paying any child support as required by law.”


Something else to keep in mind is that there is usually a deadline your partner has to respond by otherwise they run the risk of having the court award a default judgement. This means that the ruling is in your favor.


A divorce can be a complicated matter, but it doesn’t have to be. With the help the Grand Rapids divorce lawyers at Gordon & Hess, PLC can provide you with, you won’t have to stress about whether or not your spouse is going to sign the papers. They will work with you throughout the entire divorce process, from start to finish. Whether it’s settling a child custody agreement or getting your spouse to agree on how your assets are going to be split, a lawyer specializing in divorce is the professional you want working by your side.

If you would like to get connected with a legal representative now, simply call 616-272-3331