When one party files for divorce in the State of Michigan, the other party is given a certain period of time to respond. In Michigan, one party in a marriage can file for divorce without having to show that the other party did something wrong. In other words, an individual can file for divorce citing that “there has been a breakdown of the marriage relationship to the extent that the objects of matrimony have been destroyed” and there are no signs of it being repaired.1

When an individual is served divorce papers from their spouse, they must file a response with the court. For those who don’t know how to do this, a Michigan divorce attorney can explain the paperwork and assist them with filing a response.


What if a spouse doesn’t file a response to a divorce petition?


In the event a spouse doesn’t respond to a divorce petition, the court may issue a judgment in favor of the filing party. If the filing party requested that they not be required to pay alimony or divide assets, the court will likely grant their requests. This means the other party could potentially lose out on assets they would normally be entitled to receive. In addition, they may not be awarded the alimony in which a judge may have granted had they responded to the petition for divorce.

Simply put, it is very important for an individual to respond to a divorce petition within the timeframe the court has allotted. Failure to do so could result in an individual walking away from their divorce empty-handed.


How a Michigan Divorce Lawyer Can Help


If an individual failed to respond to the divorce petition they received and has a valid reason for doing so, an attorney can help them file the necessary paperwork with the court to try and reverse the judgment if one was made. There are times when the court might consider allowing an individual to file a response after the deadline has passed and a divorce lawyer can determine what the likelihood is of a judge granting the extension for a person’s case.

To get in touch with a divorce attorney in Michigan who can help, contact the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. Attorney Stuart R. Shafer is an experienced divorce lawyer who can assist an individual who has been served divorce paperwork. From filing a response to fighting for what an individual should receive out of a divorce, attorney Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. can help with it all.


The Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. can be reached at:


1223 Turner Street, #333

Lansing, MI 48906

Phone: 517-487-6603

Website: www.stushafer.com



  1. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ji1dxekufzjf2imiy0txihdn))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-552-6
0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *