divorce lawyers in Greenville, SC

If you were recently served with divorce papers, it is likely you have many questions, some of which we address below.

Whether you saw it coming or it has taken you by surprise, being served with divorce papers might have you feeling a bit uneasy and even uncertain of what is to come now that the divorce process has officially begun. However, because there is a standard process that must be followed in order to file for divorce in the state of South Carolina, we have some important information to share with you that can help you better understand what you can expect to happen over the course of the next few weeks.

The first thing we want to pay attention to given that you were served with divorce papers and not vice versa is that you are considered to be the defendant in the case and your spouse, who is the person who filed the paperwork with the Clerk of Court, Family Court Division, is the plaintiff. When your spouse filled out the paperwork, they included some very important information on each of the forms you were served with and you will need to review these forms verycarefully. Now, depending on your circumstances and your spouse’s grounds for filing for divorce, you will be limited to a certain amount of days before you have to respond back.

For example, if your spouse filed on the ground of a one-year separation, you will need to reply within 30 days after being served in person, not counting the day of service, or 35 days if you were served by certified mail, restricted delivery, return receipt requested [Source: SC Courts]. However, most divorce cases are not as simple as signing a few forms and mailing them back, especially if there are children involved or you do not agree with one or more of the terms your spouse has set. The fact is, it is likely you and your spouse aren’t on the same page when it comes to child custody, child support, division of assets, alimony payments, etc. which is why you shouldn’t just sign the forms and continue on as though there is nothing more for you to do.


There is.


You Need to Hire a Greenville, SC Divorce Attorney After Being Served with Divorce Papers


The fact is, once you are served with divorce papers and have had the time to review them and read through the terms your spouse wants you to agree to, you need to contact a divorce lawyer in Greenville, SC. The truth is, the Clerk of Court staff is not going to provide you with any sort of legal advice and you’ll be lucky if you get a break down of the steps you need to take if you wish to contest your spouse’s demands. So, rather than risk having your spouse be awarded with what he/she stipulated in the paperwork and your interests left disregarded, you need to hire a lawyer of your own who will help you respond back and include your own set of terms that must be agreed to before you are willing to settle the divorce proceedings.


I need a lawyer in Greenville, SC who is going to be patient and understanding to my needs. Who can help me?


divorce attorneys in Greenville, SC

When going through a divorce, it is important that you have a support system in place. One person who should be included in this is your SC divorce lawyer.

Going through a divorce is extremely difficult for most people, especially if your spouse sprung it on you unexpectedly while the two of you were taking some time away from the relationship. Therefore, it is important that you only surround yourself with compassionate, caring, and supportive individuals during this time who are going to make it easier for you. With that said, the Greenville, SC divorce attorneys at the Hayes Law Firm, LLC are the legal experts you need to connect with. Not only do they have extensive experience in this field of law, but they are going to provide you with the support and guidance you need right now.

To schedule an initial consultation to learn more about the Hayes Law Firm, LLC call them at 864-233-3100.


The Hayes Law Firm, LLC is located at:


870 Cleveland Street, Suite 2D-A

Greenville, SC 29601


Website: www.greenvillehayeslawoffices.com