Erie, PA- Our emergency serviced personnel are very helpful, they protect us from crime; keep our houses from burning and save our lives. These miracle workers are always there for us, but one thing they can’t do is help us get a divorce. But one Pennsylvania woman was obviously unaware that there are some things 911 can’t do for us, namely they can’t grants us a divorce.

A woman, who police have not publically identified, called 911 telling the dispatcher, “I need a divorce, can you make my husband leave?”

The 42 year-old Girard Township woman called just after 1 a.m. Saturday morning apparently unaware that divorce, which is a civil matter, was out of scope the emergency service personnel.  She asked if police could come to her home and remove her husband.

Police explained to the woman that they were unable to remove her husband from the residence because he hadn’t committed a crime. The marital home is frequently a contentious sticking point for estranged couples, since it generally represents the bulk of a couple’s wealth and assets and people will go to great lengths to keep a house.

Presumably, the couple got into a heated dispute and she thought 911 would be able to help but instead she was cited for disorderly conduct and misusing the Erie 911 system, the Inqisitr reported.

This isn’t the first time the 911 system has been called for a trivial matter and it won’t be the last. But it should serve as a cautionary tale to others, never call emergency services unless you have a real emergency and divorce doesn’t qualify, that is unless you are actually in harm’s way.

Being in a troubled marriage can make a person feel lost, or helpless, but they must realize that if they truly need help with divorce, call an attorney instead of police

If she truly needs help leaving her marriage she should contact a divorce attorney, who can give her step-by-step instructions on how divorce works if she’s unaware of how to proceed.

An attorney would help clarify the proper way to handle a divorce and explain that the first step in the process is to file for a formal separation in civil court. In these documents, the filer states the reason/reasons they are seeking dissolution, and can tell the courts what type of child custody arrangement they are seeking if they have minor children and outline their requests for spousal support and how they wish the marital assets to be divided.

Because custody arrangements and division on assets are often contentious issues once a couple splits. The primary responsibility of divorce attorney is to help their client reach custody arrangements and settlement amounts they can agree on. 

This is not an easy task and often entails intensive negotiations between the divorcing parties and their lawyers. Skilled legal experts are highly qualified to help an estranged couple set aside their disagreements long enough to settle the major issues so they can move on with their lives.