St. Louis, MO- The holidays can be stressful for anyone, but for recently separated or divorced couples, the holiday season can be downright frustrating. The joys of the Thanksgiving and Christmas are often eclipsed by conflicts over visitation and presents. You might not be able to avoid disagreements altogether, but there are some things you as a parent can do to ensure your children have a good time.

Dealing with the Conflicts of Divorce for a Happier Holiday Season

Psychology Today recommends couples approach the holidays with a business-like attitude. It may be a difficult thing to do, but you and your ex should put your disagreements aside. You need to try hard to get along because you want your child or children to enjoy this time of the year. Remember, the holidays aren’t about you, they are about your kids. That isn’t to say that you shouldn’t take care of yourself, you just shouldn’t involve your children in any arguments over gifts or where they will spend Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Ask Your Children

Ask your children where they want to spend the holidays. Parents need to put their feelings aside and try to meet your child’s wishes. If they want to spend Christmas Day with your ex, you may be hurt, but you need to suck up your emotions. Your child should have the opportunity to spend time with each parent during this time of year, so you may not get everything you want. You might even want to consider spending some holiday time with the other parent and your children especially if your split is recent.

Communicate with Your Ex

Scheduling can be difficult at this time of the year, so you need to communicate with your ex-wife or ex-husband. If talking on the phone tends to lead to an argument, you and your ex can communicate via text, emails or private messages.

Take Care of Yourself

If this is your first holiday season as a divorced parent, it can be hard to spend the day without your children. That’s understandable. You can chase away the blues by reaching out to friends and family and arrange to spend the holidays with them if you end up alone on an important day.

Speak to a divorce lawyer in St. Louis is you need assistance with child custody and visitation issues.

Is Your Ex Ignoring a Visitation Order? Contact a Divorce Lawyer in St. Louis

If your former spouse does not honor your visitation order, you can get the courts involved and ask them to enforce the order. A judge will determine if the other parent has violated custody terms and amend the arrangements when that is the case. Having a custody arrangement amended can be a complicated process, so it is advisable to contact a divorce lawyer in St. Louis and ask for their help. is your resource for experienced divorce lawyers in Missouri who know how to navigate the family court system. They can assist you with a range of divorce-related issues including changing custody arrangements and terms of spousal support.