Father’s rights is traditionally referred to as paternity rights by the courts. If you are a father getting divorced, you have visitation rights and parental rights. This means that you have the right to continue to enjoy a relationship with your children. This also means that you’ll have the right to not only visit your children, but also the right to have a say in important decisions made for your child’s life. When a child is born and the parents aren’t married, establishing parental rights, or father’s rights can be a little more complicated.

According to Very Well Family, unmarried mothers give birth to 40% of all children born in the U.S. In some cases, fathers may very well have a desire to be involved in their children’s lives, but in order to do so, they may need to establish paternity. Unlike a married couple where the husband is automatically granted paternity rights when the child is born, with an unmarried couple, the father must assert his father’s rights. Sometimes establishing paternity can be even more complex. If the mother is married, but another man claims paternity, this could potentially create a complex scenario, because the husband is granted automatic paternity. Schneider & Onofry, P.C. is a family law firm in Yuma, Arizona that works with clients who want to have an active role in their children’s lives. Whether you are an unmarried father looking to establish paternity and visitation rights, or are a father going through a divorce wanting to make sure that you continue to have an active role in your children’s lives, Schneider & Onofry, P.C. is a father’s rights law firm in Yuma, Arizona that may be able to help.

How to Establish Paternity in Arizona

There are several ways a father can establish paternity in Arizona. When the child is born at the hospital, the father can sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity form, which gives the father legal rights. If the father isn’t present at the birth of the child or if the father doesn’t sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity form, one can be signed later if both parents submit the form to the Department of Child Support Services or at the Vital Records Office. If a father wants to establish paternity but the mother denies paternity or challenges the father, the father can file a case with the Attorney General’s Office to have a court hearing. The father and mother may be required to submit to DNA tests to establish paternity. Have questions about establishing paternity, especially if your partner contests your claim? Schneider & Onofry, P.C. is a family law firm in Yuma, Arizona that may be able to assist you with your case.

Father’s Rights and Divorce in Yuma, Arizona

During a divorce, both the father and the mother have the right to receive consideration for custody of the children. If the father and mother disagree about who should have primary custody, they can take the case to court where a judge will make a custody decision using the best interests of the child standard. This standard has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with what is best for the child. The parent who is best able to care for the child emotionally, financially, and physically will generally get consideration for primary caretaker. If you and your spouse cannot agree about custody, it still might be best to try to work out a custody agreement outside of court. Taking a custody case to court puts you at risk of facing a decision that neither parent might want. That said, sometimes cases must be taken to court. If this describes your situation, you’ll want a custody lawyer on your side who can help you build the best possible case under the law. Our attorneys can look at your family’s situation and needs and help you gather evidence to support your case. Have questions about father’s rights and divorce? Schneider & Onofry, P.C. are family law attorneys in Yuma, Arizona who may be able to help you. Reach out to us today to learn more.

Contact a Father’s Rights Lawyer in Yuma, Arizona

Whether you need help establishing paternity, need help understanding your responsibilities regarding child support, or need assistance with your parenting plan because you are going through a divorce, having a family law firm like Schneider & Onofry, P.C. in Yuma, Arizona on your side can make an immense difference in your case. Our attorneys understand that fathers play an important role in their children’s lives. The courts favor parenting arrangements where both parents play an active parenting role. Have questions about your rights if you are an unwed father or are facing divorce? Reach out to Schneider & Onofry, P.C., a family law firm in Yuma, Arizona today. USAttorneys.com can connect you with one of our family lawyers.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *