When a spouse is served a divorce petition in Michigan, they should respond to it. Although a divorce may be uncontested and there are no children or assets involved, it is generally better for a spouse to respond to the petition rather than let it default. When a spouse defaults, the court will generally rule in favor of the filing party.


So, what does this mean for the party who was served the divorce petition?


Anything the filer requested in the divorce petition will likely be granted. For example, if the filer asked that the court relieve them of having to pay alimony to their spouse, the court could rule in their favor, and they wouldn’t be required to provide the other party with spousal support. This is why individuals must respond to divorce petitions.

The fact is, when a person files a divorce petition, they are given the opportunity to address the following:

  • Which party will continue living the couple’s home.
  • Whether they will be paying spousal support, commonly referred to as alimony.
  • The custody arrangement they prefer.
  • How they want to divide their marital assets.


The reason why it is important for an individual to respond to a divorce petition is to ensure their rights to assets and alimony is upheld and they are able to address any discrepancies should they exist.


Get help with responding to a divorce petition in Michigan


If an individual was served a divorce petition and they live in Michigan, MI divorce lawyer Stuart R. Shafer can help them file a response. A divorce lawyer will not only help an individual understand the terms outlined in the divorce petition, but they will also explain the different ways they can respond.

Individuals do need to be aware that they are only given a certain period of time to respond to a divorce petition otherwise they could lose their opportunity to do so.


What happens if a person lets the deadline pass to respond to a divorce petition?


If the deadline to respond to a divorce petition has passed, it is imperative that an individual contact the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. so that a MI divorce attorney can begin working on their case. Under certain circumstances will the court allow for an extension and a divorce lawyer can identify what these are. Anyone who needs help with responding to their divorce petition is encouraged to contact the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. to schedule an initial consultation.


The Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. can be reached at:


1223 Turner Street, #333

Lansing, MI 48906

Phone: 517-487-6603

Website: www.stushafer.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *