If you and your spouse have decided to file for divorce in Brownsville, TX, you can expect the court to address the issue of child custody. Whether you are entering into the divorce proceedings with a parenting plan already worked out or you and your spouse have yet to address the issue, you can expect to encounter a few terms which we think are very important for you to know and understand. In this article, we have highlighted for you some of the more common child custody terms that are likely to come up in your divorce proceedings.


Common Child Custody Terms


  • Court order. A court order establishes who has legal custody and what each parent’s rights are. Without a court order, both parents are entitled to spend time with their child at their discretion.


  • Temporary custody. A parent may be awarded temporary custody during the divorce proceedings until a decision is made on how parenting time is going to be divided.


  • Custodial parent. The person who is designated as a child’s custodial parent is the person who has the “legal right to decide where the child will live.” This is also the parent the child will spend most of their time with.


  • Noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent, sometimes referred to as a “possessory conservator, has the legal right to spend time with the child and know the whereabouts of the child.” While many people are under the impression that it is the child’s father who is often labeled as the noncustodial parent, The Texas Attorney General says that about 10% of noncustodial parents are actually mothers.


Once a child custody agreement has been made, there is a good chance one parent may be required to pay child support to the other to ensure the child’s needs are met. Some other important terms you should be aware of in the event the court does order one parent to pay child support are listed down below.


  • Obligor. An obligor is a person who is required to make payments under the terms of the child support order.


  • Obligee. The oblige is the person who is entitled to receive child support payments.


  • Medical support. Medical support refers to periodic payments or a lump-sum payment made under an order to cover a child’s medical expenses.


While there are a number of other terms you are going to want to familiarize yourself with, it is also important that you retain a Brownsville, TX divorce lawyer to ensure your interests are protected. The TX divorce attorneys at the Law Offices of Gary A. Ortega will walk you through each step of the divorce process and fight for an outcome that is favorable to you and your child.


You can reach the Law Offices of Gary A. Ortega, P.C. at:


424 E. Jefferson

Brownsville, TX 78520

Phone: 956-541-4838

Website: www.garyortegalaw.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *