Most divorced parents find resolving child custody issues to be the most tedious one. Both parents love their children equally and are eager to provide the best they possibly can.
Therefore, it becomes difficult to reach a visitation or custody agreement. This is why divorce legal professionals suggest that separated couples seek help from a family law mediator to get things streamlined.
You can find this legal counselor right here on this site. USAttorneys.com does not divide families, it brings them closer together. It does this by allowing anyone to obtain the legal help they need so they are not hammered by their ex and the system and so on. Our website has saved lives and has enabled parents from all walks of life from both the sexes to be able to continue to see their children post divorce.
If there is anything more vital than this, we have not heard of it.
What is mediation?
Once the couple is separated the next step is the division of the family’s movable and immovable assets and custody of their children. These are the two major issues that are required to be resolved in order to ensure that the divorce process moves smoothly.
For the most part mediation is the hiring of a third party (preferably a lawyer and expert in family law) to discuss and resolve disagreements pertaining to division of property, child custody, visitation, and other essential matters.
The mediator does this in an amicable way without hurting the interests of either of the parents. He/she does not make any personal decisions for the separated couple. All that a mediator does is help you arrive at an amicable solution.
Initial steps prior to child custody mediation
- Understand your custody rights and responsibilities thoroughly. You can consult a legal pro who would provide you all the information you need.
- Prepare a child visitation schedule whether you contemplate sole custody or joint custody. The latter is usually preferred by the court that will consider the child’s best interests.
- Jot down the activities you have planned for your kid in your diary.
- Collect important documents such as your child’s report cards, medical bills and letters from your kid’s therapist.
There are four steps related to child custody mediation. They include:
- Initial consultation with the legal mediator
- Identifying and categorizing common interests between the parents and the kid(s)
- Discussing optimal solutions to prioritize underlying issues
- Signing the child custody agreement
Initial consultation with the mediator
Do not bring up fights between you and your partner that could have led to the separation. Instead, you ought to discuss the child’s interests. You need to act like a responsible parent rather than putting the blame on your partner. The mediator will sit with each of the parents and their legal counselors (if any) and draft a rough schedule of the child custody agreement.
Identifying common interests between the parent and the child
Identifying common interests between the parent and the child includes:
- Arriving at a child visitation schedule
- Making a list of exceptions that overrides visitation such as holidays, personal commitments, etc.
- Discussing how each parent wishes to communicate with their children
- Having a detailed discussion on the welfare activities of the kids, including co-curricular, and extracurricular activities
- Making amendments to the child custody program in the future
Based on your availability in terms of your presence and taking other special requests from each parent into consideration, the mediator will prepare a detailed child custody agreement plan.
If you have reached a roadblock in your divorce then all you need is to reach out to a marvelous and motivated New York, NY divorce lawyer. And you don’t have to look further than USAttorneys.com which you are at right now. Go to the home page and use the Local Lawyers Directory Search and you find a series of legal professionals that can tackle this situation.
You can use the interactive map as well on this site to find an attorney near you.
If you have any issues with the site or anything just reach out to us via the contact form or the online chat menu that pops up. No problem! We will call you back in a couple of hours depending on the time once we receive your information.
We know how to win cases and our legal pros can and will present your situation in the best light. We know you are frustrated right now and things could be spinning out of control. With our legal help, you can get control of things again!